Design Iterations – Poster Project

With an impending project to design an interactive display in the foyer of Weymouth House; the media department of Bournemouth University, we looked at the iterative processes of design over the last few weeks. We started by looking at the different design processes and while there were many of merit I found during the project that the whirlpool technique was the most relevant when it came to our poster. The step technique was very straight forward and didn’t really represent how design worked factoring in improvements and reviews half way through the project.

10694832_10204777893786042_260031851_n

The poster was pitched by my lecturers and was inspired by the Scottish Independence vote but instead of Scotland the aim was to make posters for Dorset. We then researched the Scottish posters and looked at what it meant to be from Dorset and what is the iconography of the county. On this I thought the brief was very limited, all iconography was very limited and the first version we planned out and spoke to Liam about suffered from this. I really started to doubt the brief at this point, the scope of what we could do was very limited and already similarities were appearing between groups’ ideas.

Due to this there were only two ways to go in my opinion –

  1. Green Party root – Nature needs protecting
  2. Monetary root

Upon a discussion our first idea was to do a car (design below) and highlight that Dorset is a key part to Britain but often overlooked. However upon review with peers this design wasn’t clear and after we analysed the space we noticed that people don’t really stop to look at anything apart from a glance. The fast moving nature of the space meant that meanings had to be simple and to the point without much thought for decryption. Due to this writing had to be pretty big and not contain a lot of words else it wouldn’t be fully read. The space was very busy and people walking through it never really looked at much unless it was a glance at a screen when walking in or the food on sale. Short, concise posters with a meaning would be better and after many trial and errors we came up with two ideas.

 

dorset_poster_2 10723606_10154689691600363_1702420118_n

 

Researching campaign posters we found lots of text-based imagery and with this striking points so we delved into what Bournemouth had over Britain. The research aspect of this helped a lot in my understanding of iterative design as it allowed me to shape my opinion on design over what the core ideas that were established.

In the end we went with the second poster and this was very striking when it was put up and it attracted the eyeline of many people who glanced at it and then proceeded to read over it.

IMG_5817

 

Overall I found the project very useful. The practical element allowed me to explore the space that I will be working with and come to conclusions on which screens to use and what the installation must be like. As well as this I found it helpful to understand that iterative design isn’t just straight forward and reviews are done at each stage. I kind of knew this already but this project allowed me to focus on it in more depth.

 

During the project I found out this about the space:

  1. It is very fast moving, heavily text based installations won’t work.
  2. The main points of interest are the screens by the doors.
  3. People won’t stop to interact, they are always rushing to get to lectures/workshops.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s